Calculating person’s height and weight to measure body size is BMI.
BMI Meaning-Body Mass Index
Heart diseases, diabetes and cancer are the higher risk by products. As we know body mass index doesn’t show difference between muscle, fat and bone mass. Obesity meaning– If your BMI is 18.5 or under then you are underweight, greater than 18.5-your weight is normal and if it is greater than 30.0 then it’s clear that you are overweight.
Causes of Obesity
If you are doing long term exercise, daily extra activities and still not able to burn calories then it might be your initial stage of obesity. By the time you add up more calories & it results weight gain.
Some causes of obesity are out of control which include-
- Heredity– This is one of the possible reasons behind how your body stores fat.
- Old Age– At this stage people starts loosing muscle mass and it slows the metabolic rate which results fat gain.
- Enough Sleep– Hormonal imbalances can affect your sleep pattern which results weight gain.
- Pregnancy– Change in eating habits can leads to weight gain and afterwards it’s hard to lose that much weight and the women become obese. Health condition is the another reason.
- Osteoarthritis (OA)- Cause joint pain and hence it may lead to lower the physical activities.
- Genetics– Some people already have different types of genes where it’s difficult for them to lose weight.
- PCOS(polycystic ovary syndrome)- a condition where female reproductive hormones imbalances
- Thyroid– This is one of the health condition where thyroid glands not able to create important hormones.
- Psychological Factor- You may have heard from your friend, colleagues or you have read it somewhere people who tends to get angrier or have anger issues eats too much food or overeat for emotional comfort.
- Stress – Regrettably, stress is biggest reason of your increased weight. Your high stress level increases level of cortisol. Cortisol hormone created by adrenal glands presents on kidneys, when you are under pressure/stress cortisol releases. Cortisol excite metabolism of your fat & carbohydrates, it greater your appetite. Additionally, higher cortisol levels creates craving for sweet, salty and fast food.
Risks of excess weight
High Blood Pressure- Your body carries extra fat which needs oxygen and nutrients. It means your heart supposed to work hard and your blood vessels needs to circulate more for that extra fat. By default your blood circulation level increases and it creates pressure on your wall of arteries which is called high blood pressure. It affects heart health and arteries.
Complications in Pregnancy- Pregnant lady who put more weight or overweight can adds up more insulin level in the body and develop high blood sugar. These issues lead to Miscarriage, Premature baby, Blood clot, Diabetes, Heavy bleeding after delivery, etc.
Depression- People who put on more weight are curious about how do they look? Or what people will think about them? This can lead to sadness, feel depressed and lack of self- confidence.
Heart related issues- Heart issues are frequent in obese people. Fatty deposit gathers in arteries which supply blood. People with excess weight have high BP, Cholesterol, and high blood sugar. Because of high blood pressure arteries becomes narrow and it results stroke.
Type 2 Diabetes- People with type 2 diabetes, their body produce insulin which is normal but it does not complete the requirement of the body. Blood sugar remains raised and it can damage your blood vessels, nerves and several organs.
To Lower The Risk of Obesity-
Say no to processed food– These foods contain high amount of sugar, salt and added fats or calories.
Limited intake of sugar – Do not eat lot of sugar or else you will be in big trouble.
Drink sufficient water– Before having a meal, drink glass of water which leads to reduce calories.
Prefer more fruits & vegetables– They are power packed with water, fiber and lot of nutrients. Without having too many calories you can eat fruits and vegetables as much as you want.
More fiber – Water soluble fiber foods can give you feeling of fullness and naturally you will eat less.
Cardio exercise– Jogging, running, cycling is a best way to stay healthy and strong and it helps you to maintain your weight.
Weight gain can create an impact on your physical and mental health. Now you must be thinking-How can I get to know about my health? Or how much calories I’m adding to the body? Talk to dietician or nutritionist who will help you to keep your body healthy